All prerequisites will be enforced at the time of registration.
There are two ways to get prerequisite holds cleared:
- Complete the Transcript Evaluation Request process. Prerequisite holds will be cleared based on the evaluation results. NOTE:
The transcript evaluation process involves the evaluation of all courses toward all
requirements, not just the clearance of prerequisite holds.
- If you are not seeking a full transcript evaluation, complete a Prerequisite Verification Form for individual courses. FOR SUMMER AND FALL 2020, UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS ARE ACCEPTABLE TO CLEAR PREREQUISITE HOLDS.
- Begin by checking below to see if any classes you plan on signing up for have prerequisites or corequisites (classes to be completed concurrently).
- Your registration will not be blocked if you fulfilled a class prerequisite with a final grade of "C" or better, or you are in progress with it, at SBCC.
- If you fulfilled the prerequisite at another college, then you must complete a Prerequisite Verification Form A.
- If you fulfilled the prerequisite due to a credential (i.e. CPC, CCS, RN, etc.), then you must also complete Prerequisite Verification Form A. You can review waivers based on credentials here.
- FOR HIT 201 and 204: To clear the BMS 146 prerequisite, we will accept Anatomy and Physiology coursework from another college (use Prerequisite Form A). If you have not completed Anatomy and Physiology, we will accept any three (3) science classes to clear the prerequisite (use Prerequisite Form B).
See SBCC's prerequisite and corequisite policies for more information.
CIM Course Prerequisites and Course Advisories - Effective Fall 2017
|Cancer Registry Management I||None||None||None|
|CIM125||Cancer Disease Management||
|CIM100 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM150||Oncology Coding and Staging Systems||CIM125||None||None|
|CIM201||Abstracting Principles and Practice I||HIT135||CIM125 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM202||Abstracting Principles and Practice II||CIM201||CIM150 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM225||Cancer Registry Management II||CIM100||None||None|
|CIM250||Cancer Statistics and Epidemiology||CIM201||CIM202 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|CIM275||CIM Practicum||CIM202, CIM225 & CIM250||HIT240 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
HIT Course Prerequisites and Course Advisories - Effective Fall 2017
|HIT101||Intro to HIM||None||None||None|
|HIT102||Legal Aspect of Healthcare||None||HIT101 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|HIT135||Basic Medical Terminology||None||None||None|
|HIT201||Pharmacology for Allied Health||BMS146 (or Anatomy and Physiology)||None||HIT135|
|HIT202||ICD-10 Diagnostic Coding||HIT135, BMS146, and HIT101||HIT204||None|
|HIT203||ICD-10 Procedural Coding||HIT135, BMS146, HIT101, and HIT204||None||None|
|HIT204||Pathophysiology||BMS146 (or Anatomy and Physiology)||None||None|
|HIT205||Advanced Coding Applications||HIT202+HIT203 and HIT210||None||HIT255|
|HIT210||CPT Coding||HIT101, HIT135 and BMS146 (or Anatomy and Physiology)||None||None|
|HIT220||HIM Statistics||(COMP101 or CIS101)||HIT101 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None|
|HIT230||Alternative HC Deliver Systems||HIT101||None||HIT240, COMP101|
|HIT240||HC Quality Management||(COMP101 or CIS101) and HIT101||None||HIT255|
|HIT255||Medical Insurance and Reimbursement||None||HIT102, HIT202+203 as prior or concurrent enrollment||HIT210|
|HIT265||HIM Computer Applications||(COMP101 or CIS101) and HIT101||None||None|
HIT202+HIT203, HIT210, HIT220, HIT240, HIT255, and HIT265
|HIT230||None, see limitation on enrollment|
|HIT280||Medical Coding Practicum||HIT202, HIT203, HIT210 and HIT255||HIT205 as prior or concurrent enrollment||None, see limitation on enrollment|
|HIT284||Coding Exam Prep||None||None||HIT 280 or equivalent*|
|HIT285||RHIT Exam Prep||None||None||HIT 275 or equivalent**|
*Student must be in the final semester of SBCC's Medical Coding Program (or an equivalent program at another college), or have completed HIT 280 or its equivalent, or be an experienced medical coder in an acute care hospital or physician's office. **Student must be in the final semester of SBCC's HIT Program (or an equivalent program at another college), or have completed HIT 275 or its equivalent.