Financial Aid

Back to SBCC

Student Employment

Putting Your Award To Work For You!!!
A Federal Work-study job lets you earn part of your college expenses. The purpose of the program is to promote part-time employment opportunities for students who need an education. To participate in the Federal Work-study Program (FWS) you must APPLY and be ELIGIBLE to receive as a part of your financial aid award an allocation for FWS program.

Once you are declared eligible for FWS funds, you must also be enrolled for a minimum of 6 units and may not work more than 19.5 hours per week.

The following are questions most frequently asked about the FWS program. Please read this information. Should you have any questions feel free to contact the Financial Aid Office in Room SS210 or call (805) 965-0581 ext. 2301.

How Do I Apply?
You must complete and submit an application for financial aid entitled Free Application For Financial Aid (FAFSA) in order to determine your eligibility for a FWS position. Apply online at

How Will I Know If I Am Going To Get A FWS Job?
After applying for financial aid and completing your file, the Financial Aid Office will send you an email to inform you that you have been awarded. You will be directed to review your awards online via your Pipeline account. If you are offered FWS as part of your package, and you are interested in employment, you must seek student employment through the Career Center.

What Kind Of Jobs Are Available?
FWS positions are available in a wide variety of on/off campus departments. There is an on line listing of current available job positions managed by the Career Center.

Can I Work As Many Hours As I Want?
NO. Your awards will determine the number of hours you may work by indicating your allocation for the semester. The maximum number of hours per week you will be allowed to work while classes are in session is 19.5 or less, again, depending upon your FWS allocation.

How Will I Be Paid?
You must submit your time card online by the scheduled time card due date to your supervisor. Normally, work-study recipients can expect to be paid once per month.

What Do I Do To Get A FWS Job?
You must (1) be enrolled in 6 units (2) complete required paperwork, (3) obtain a Job Referral from the Financial Aid Office completed with your award detail. When a supervisor offers you the position, you must (1) obtain the appropriate signatures on the Job Referral, (2) return Referral Form back to On Campus Student Employment Office - SS230 (Human Resources Office), (3) obtain and complete an employment packet. 

What Must I Do To Keep My Award?

You must maintain satisfactory academic progress and be in 6 units to continue to be eligible for your FWS from semester to semester. Remember that your award is only valid for the academic year indicated. Once your funds are earned, or the academic year is over, your FWS position will be terminated.

721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394    Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581    © 2018 Santa Barbara City College