What is Running Start?
Running Start is a 6-week summer bridge program for local high school students completing the 12th grade. Running Start provides services to students who may be financially and/or academically underprepared and who may not assess into college-level Math and English. There are 65 spots available each summer and students must go through an interview process to be selected.
What is the goal of the program?
The goal of the program is to assist students in making a smooth transition to college life. The Running Start Program will provide students the academic and tutorial support, and the financial assistance necessary to be a successful college student. In return, students provide the motivation and a strong work ethic.
- Enroll in a College Success course (PD 100) and one other college course
- Attend school Monday – Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and Fridays are field trips
Running Start will provide the following:
- Tutoring and Peer Advising: Monday – Thursday for two hours
- Food vouchers for one meal per day on campus Monday – Thursday
- A weekly field trip/activity every Friday (e.g. the Reagan Library, Museum of Tolerance, Dodger games, and boat trips to the Channel Islands)
- Students receive $100 per week for the 6-week program
Please contact Ish to learn about the application process:
Ismael Paredes Ulloa - Student Program Advisor